Sorry for the blatant plagiarism.
The point is, it has been so hard for me to ask for anyone's help during my job search. It's a matter of pride. It's a matter of not wanting to bother others with my situation. It's a matter of, I'll fix this myself. And yes, it's a matter of me being the kind of guy who doesn't ask for directions until he's totally turned around.
I guess I'm totally turned around, because today on Facebook and LinkedIn, I sent out the following piece of self-advertising:
Short personal message: I’m looking for a job and there are five local companies headquartered nearby that I’m currently "targeting": Blockbuster, Fossil, HRsmart, Michael's and The Container Store. If you have a relationship or connection there that could help me in my search, or if you have any other suggestions, I’d really appreciate your help. Thank you! Steve
This was so hard for me to do. In fact, this was the second time I have sent out a message like this, although this time I was more specific about what I was looking for help on. It wasn't any easier to send out this second message than it was to send out the first. In a couple of weeks, I'll send it out again.
I'm sure it'll be just as painful.
How can I call myself a man now? I've asked for help, even after my testosterone level told me clearly, in a deep bass voice that I should just "man up!" What a sniveling little girly man I have become.
"Shut up, testosterone!"
"Make me, you of the mostly hairless torso!"
"Watch it, or I'll use this!"
"Estrogen injection! Nooooo!"
But the thing about it is, I could spin my wheels for months and months sending out resume after resume, and meanwhile some friend of mine or a friend of a friend of mine might know of a job that would be perfect for me. If you don't tell anyone, you won't get asked to fill a job that they might know about.
I've been told by people who know that there is a hidden job market out there, with more jobs that need to be filled than will ever show up on Indeed or Monster or wherever.com. The only way to find one of those jobs is through networking. I just read this great article called "How to Use Social Media to Find a Job"
These days, you find work on the net by networking. I just made that up. What a clever little writer I am.
Anyway, that's just how job search is evolving. I have to evolve along with it.
And I was just joking about the estrogen injection. Seriously.
You men! My husband Steve is acting just like you...like he's lost his manhood instead of his job. In the meantime I'm actually saving jobs to apply for during the next week so I'll have my 5 quota for unemployment. On another note: Suze Orman says if you're having a hard time finding a job you should think seriously about starting your own business--something you're passionate about. I'm passionate about snow cones...
ReplyDelete( I just looked up whatever.com and there's a link to wrongful Mesothelioma death.)
The woman who heads up my Job Seekers group challenged me to apply for 15 jobs this week. I usually apply for 5-10. Between Indeed, Monster and Careerbuilder I managed to dig up and apply for over 20. I hope she doesn't ask me to go to 25 next week...
ReplyDeleteI hadn't even thought about that site being real. Yikes.