Friday, January 27, 2012

I had to get up at 6:30 this morning.

There is only one benefit to being unemployed, and that is you can usually stay in bed as long as you want to. I'm not saying you can stay in bed until noon curled up in a fetal position sucking your thumb. Thankfully I haven't done that yet (stayed in bed until noon).

Nowadays, I usually get up between 8 and 8:30, which is ridiculously late for me. It's interesting how quickly you get used to being able to sleep in as much as you want to. But this morning I had to get up at an equally ridiculous time: 6:30. I don't see how people manage it. I don't see how I used to manage it.

It may be normal, but it's not natural.

I used to have to get up at 6:00 in the morning in order to get ready for my job. I now consider that a form of abuse rooted in the workplace. Something akin to slavery. If "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" has any meaning whatsoever in our modern-day society, then everyone, all races, all creeds, all genders, should be able to sleep as late as they want to without fear of bad reviews.

If someone needs to arrive at work at noon because their body told them that they needed a little more sleep, then it should be allowed. In fact, it should be encouraged. Or do our workplace masters have the unmitigated temerity to believe that they control our bodies?

I say "no." I say "keep your greedy, sleep-depriving corporate hands off of my body's sleeping patterns."

And to any future employer who may decide to hire me, I state now and unequivocally for the record:

"I'm your man! I'll come in early and work late every day. Weekends? No problem. Holidays? Happy to do it. Sleep? Who needs it?"


1 comment: