Friday, February 17, 2012

"Interviewing." What an odd word.

Why is interviewing called "interviewing?" I suppose the "viewing" portion is just what it sounds like. Is the "inter" portion related to "interesting" or "interested?" Maybe it's derived from "interactive" or "interdisciplinary" or possibly "inside." I could go on and on here, but I won't.

So would that make not getting an interview an "outernonview?" I've had a lot of those. Or haven't. Whatever.

I had an interview this morning, and I was so happy to get it. You never really know, but I felt it went really well. The people I met with were incredibly nice, and the job looks both interesting and challenging. Crossing my fingers, toes and eyes here.

But regardless of what happens, it's so encouraging to simply get an interview. Obviously the people that want to talk with you realize that you've got a lot to offer. You must be doing something right in your job search to stand out among all of the other resumes, LinkedIn profiles and blogs all clamoring for attention. "Hire me! Hire me! No, hire me! Look over here!"

For me, I worry more before the interview than during the actual interview itself. What if the car breaks down while I'm driving there? What if I spill something on my suit? What if they don't like me? There are a whole string of potential "what ifs" that go through my head before an interview, and none of them ever happen. (Knock on wood. Or knock on the computer screen. Gently.)



It's like I have an angel and a devil on opposite shoulders sometimes.


- I just pray that my car will start that morning.

- Has it been causing trouble?

- No, it hasn't been giving me any trouble.

- But what if it did?

- It won't!

I hope I get a job soon so they both stop bothering me.


For some reason, once the interview starts and I'm faced with other human beings with lives and families and interests of their own, I'm able to calm down, focus, and hopefully demonstrate to them that I have the talent and skills they need, all wrapped up in a nice package called "Steve." Anyway, I think the interview went well, and I'm hopeful they will call and let me know one way or the other before the end of the month.

I also have another interview with a different company on Monday morning, so I get to do this all over again in a few days.

No, I am GLAD to be able to do this all over again in a few days.


As long as my car starts and I don't spill something on my suit.





No comments:

Post a Comment